Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bracelets, Deep in the M.E. and Sponsorship, congrats all round

Well, first things first. Congrats to John O'Shea on a WSOP final table, and to Marty Smyth on taking down the Championship PLO event. This is the toughest field after the Horse imo. Well played sir.

The main event might be the most sought after, but this is due to the money and previous pristige. The last time a player was recognaised for being amoung the best in the world after winning the ME is debatable.

As we entered the final week of the WSOP. Most of the poker community in the world turn to Vegas to follow the Main Event. With almost 7k runners, any hopefull world champion was going to run good to take this down. When day one started, eyes turned to Pokernews for updates, a serious lack of updates this year, but PN, was clearly the best. A shed load of Boardies and other irish players ventured the tides of lady luck in the amazon room. And without them in the mix, many of us would not of bothered to follow it.

I'm not going to attempt to toss about "well done" to the many many players who put in a sterling proformance, as undoubtedly, I will miss more than a few. But, I think that an exception must be made for the two deepest runs amoung the irish.
Reggie (Cardshark) came 111th, and James (Hawkeye), who was in the top few spots for three days, and was even chipleader at one stage, came 71st. Congrats lads.

Play has stopped in the ME as they are down to 9 players. For purely marketing purposes, the powers that be have decided to pospone the FT until november. Not a smart move, with more than a few million involved, I don't think think the meantime pass without an incident. The players remaining are,
(chip count in brackets, PP odds below)

Dennis Philips (26,295,000)
4 - 1
Ivan Demidov (24,400,000)
4 - 1
Scott Montgomery (19,690,000)
9 - 2
Peter Eastgate (18,375,000)
9 - 2
Ylon Schwartz (12,525,000)
8 - 1
Darus Suharto (12,520,000)
17 - 2
David Rheem (10,230,000)
10 - 1
Craig Marquis (10,210,000)
10 - 1
Kelly Kim (2,620,000)
50 - 1


Most of the players, bar one or two, have a string of major event cashes. Its all stipulation at this stage, but if I had to pick somebody (basing it on odds, ability and results), my money is on David Rheem. The bigger stacks are more likely, but I think Rheem at 10-1 represents the best value.


Shortly before the final line up was announced, Nicky Power annouced, or rather it was announced for him, his impending sponsorship deal. Always the gent, Nicnicnic decline to name the site, saying that it was up to them to choose when to make it public. After some waiting, Bruce-Poker made the deal public. They have the best of this in my opinion. Will this mean that Nicky will stop appearing at Family Guy themed partys, most likely not.


So, after much time wasting with congrats and etc, time to briefly cover me. I few months ago, I moved to soley to cash (I was 50/50 cash and tourney). And at first, I was much happier, varience was much lower. Wins were much more freqent, but obviously not as big as the occasional deep run in an MTT. I was immediatly happier. But more an more lately I find myself glancing at the tourney tab. Seconds thoughts, no. Longing for one time, prehaps.
In live tourneys, i've ben running quite well, cashing more often than not lately. Live cash, not so well.
Online tournys, again quite well, cashed in my last 3 out of four MTTs on stars. I was all set to go deep in a 60k on stars, made the last four tables out of almost 5900 runners. Was 7th in chips, but a two outer on the river took a chunk out of me, then I lost a race AT vrs 99 to bust in 27th.
That side, I find myself enjoying tourneys more, and when you enjoy poker more, you play better. More often than I'd like to keep count of, I've been hit with a few massive beats in cash. playing in a very deep Omaha game, I get it in on the turn with a house, and not any old house, the nut house, for 800 BBs, called by trips. Spikes and over on the river. Shortly later, i get in on the flop with a big wrap and king flushdraw. Only to be called by ace FD, even removing loads of my outs, i'm still ahead. Straight on turn, flush on river. That was 300BBs, then for 500bb, flopped set over set, of course I have the bottom end. Had I won those hand, I'd be 16 buy-ins better off.

So where does this leave me. I'm not really sure. I still think I have to maintain a decent level of cash. But I also think I need a tourney based goal. One thing is certain, I am really really going to make a better effort with this blog. Even if only for myself, I am a firm believer in that these blog follies help to focus a player. In terms of poker focus, I am planning of trying to quailify for one (or more) of the large events in the coming months. Off the top of my head, I suppose i'd like to see myself in either Kerry for the Big Slick Game in October, the Paddy Power Winter Fest, one of the Dublin Festivals.
I will not be buying-in direct, so i'll try my best to quench my tourney thirst via sats.

No comments: